(Printer friendly PDF document version with images below, it will open in new window/tab)
UA 033 - English - Backup in Windows 10.pdf
Backup in Windows 10.
A backup is a copy of yours files to be used if they got lost. A backup should be able to manage different versions when it is not sure that it is the latest you want to restore. A backup should be stored in as non writable so that virus or a power spikes from lighting strikes destroys both your computer and backup-disk..
It is also to prefer to store the backup outside your premises protection in matter of fire or if a thief steal all your computer equipments included the backup drive..
As a entrepreneurs in Sweden you most also have in mind that if the files contains structured personal details (eg: customer register) you are obligated by law to follow PUL (Personal Information Law) that among other regulate it should be stored within EU/ESS and none is using the information without your customers approval. You must also ensure that accounting verification that is only stored electronic not goes missing.
Creating a backup in Windows 10.
- Open Windows settings by open the start menu and clicking on the gearwheel, and there start “Update & Security”.
- In the next windows should you choice Backup in the menu on the left.
- Make sure that you have the disk (USB-disk) you want to use for your backup connected to the computer and click in “Add drive”. It is possible to use a networks drive but a removable USB-drive is to prefer.
- Select that USB-disk you have attached for the backup in the list of disks.
- You will then come back to the previous dialog that tells that the backup is ON; but this with Microsoft default settings and we need to verify that those are suitable. Click therefore on “More Options”
- Change “keep my backups” from forever to “Until space needed” You can keep back up my files each hour (will came back to this in step number 10).
Make sure that all folders that you sre storing files in are represent in the list. If you are using POP3 for your mail application then you must check that those folders also are included when POP3 store the mail locally.
Add missing maps to the list.
Go to below of the list and click on show advanced settings
- Verify that the file history is turned on; then we do not eant old versions of files be overwritten.
If it is off, please activate it.
- Close the window with file history and you will come back to previous dialog with the folder list. Press the button “Backup Now” in the top of the page and your backup will be started.The first time you will do this it must copy all files and therefore ic can take a extended time then later, it can takes hours.
When it is done will the text “your data has not been backup yet” been changed to the date
Execute the backup procedure:
Windows will, after done the above, look for changes each hour, and if any founded then those will be backuped to your USB-disk. BUT if you got your USB-disk continuous connected and receive a power spike from a lighting strike, or a virus, then you computer included the backup could be destroyed. QBRIS recommend that a backup media should never be permanent attached to the computer, and only be connected when doing backups.
Below is a description of how to do a backup.
- Connect your backup media to the computer and always use the same USB socket, and no other disk attached then you had when setting up the backup. Otherwise it is possible that the backup-disk will get another letter that you hade during the setup, and that could cause some mess.
- After your disk has been attached for an hour it will automatically start the backup, but it is easier to start it manually.
Open Windows settings by clicking on the gearwheel and choose “Update & Security”
- Choose, in the next dialog, Backup.
- Then click on “More Option” that are located under the on-button.
- You will then see information of the date what you did the latst backup, below that date you will find a button “Back up Now” that will start a new backup. Make sure that you have closed mail application else it can lock its filer when its open.
- During the backup the button will change to “Cancel” and when it is finish it wil go back to Back up Now but with current date above.
- The only thing that is left to do is to disconnect the USB-backup disk, and it is very important that it is done correctly, in Safe Mode, or just do it with the computer turned off, else there is a risk that all files has not yet been written and you can destroy your backup. If you have the computer powered on you need tu use safe removal by right click on the USB socket icon.
- Choose your backup disk I the list for safe removal.
- You will then get a message that the hardware is safe to remove. But as mention before you can always do it when the computer is off. But it is then possible you can receive an message that Windows can not find all disks.
Repeat step 9 to 15 with regularly intervals or when you find that you have done a lot of changes in your files that you really do not want to lost.
The backup procedure above should be complemented by having a stored system image (see QBRITS Help Making a system image in Windows 10)
NOTE: There is several shortcomings in the procedure above; for example it will not protect you against thefts, when the thief most likely also will take your backup drive. It will ether protect in case of fire/water damage or other that will destroy your equipment. QBRITS recommendation is therefore that you sould additional to this have a of site backup of selected maps stored on an other location with your companies files. Such backup is included in QBRITS Base service, that is evaluated and tested to serve companies needs in matter of functionality and current regulations