- ASCII: shortening for American Standard Code Information Interchange, and is kind of alfabet used by computers with all character and symbols. Like our ordinary language there is different alfabets, as Swedish and English alfabets were the Swedish also contain the letters åäö.
- Binary numeral system: Computer can only manage två states, on and off (in reality negativ and positiv voltage). Therefore will they only use two symbols 1 and 0, unlike us that can count with 10 symbols. The Binary system is similar to our system by using a position system in which when we run out of symbols we will add the first symbol in front of the it. As when we have count to 9 and do not have any more symbols we will add the fist in the position before and add a zero behind, and therfore after 9 till will be 10. But because you only have two symbols in the binary system it will happened more frequently e.g: 0000, 0001, 0010, 0011, 0100, 0101, 0110, 0111, 1000 (corresponds with 0 to 8)
- Byte: Equal with one character/symbol.
- CPU: short form for Central Process Unit and is the elektroniska komponent that makes the mainly calculation in a computer. The speed is measure in MegaHertz (MHz) that is similar with number of calculation per second. There is several types of processors in a computer, for example graphic processor and signal processor, CPU only applied to the central processor.
- Decimal system: Is our ordinary numeral system where we use ten symbols with symbol zero that do not have any value, when we run out of symbols (0,1-9) we will add the first symbol (1) and put a zero behind, i.e. after 9 it will be 10 and after 99 it will be 100. Our system is therefore called Positional decimal system and it is based in 10 symbols.
- Domain name: is a name for an organization on Internet. It is built in several parts; for http://mypages.qbrits.com is mypages a sub-domain , qbrits is the organization and com is the top-domain. One reasons for domain names is to eliminate need to remember and use IP-addresses. (further information on wikipedia).
- Duplicator: Is a plugin in Wordpress developed by LifeInTheGrid that is used for moving Wordpress installation between sites. It is also used to install QBRIST Wordpress site examples.
- Envira Gallery: is an plugin for Wordpress that provide with a simple gallery function.
- GigaByte: It is the same for GB as for kiloByte, it is not 1000 kB, it is 210 kiloByte (1024 kB).
- Hexadecimal system: When we counting we are using ten symbols, the decimal number system, but a computer just using two (0/1, on/off) in the binary number system. In the past when they need to keep track of the computers ones and zeros they often use the hexadecimal number system in which you using 16 symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B.C,D,E,F), this to avoid writing a lot of ones and zeros. As an example: 211 decimal = 1101 0011 binary = DE hexadecimal (two symbols instead of eight)
- Homepage: same as site, but it can be confused with landing page.
- IMAP: Internet Message Access Protocol is a communication protocol used to read mail messages from mail servers. IMAP has support to access the mail account from several sources (eg. computer, smartphones, tablet pc) when the mail still remains on the server. See also POP3
- IP-address: short form for Internet Protocol Address and is a number used by computers and uits on the Internet. With IP you usually mean IP version 4 (IPv4) that is made of four group of digits (0-255). Example of an adress is 22.214.171.124. Because of this IPv4 has an limit of 4 294 967 296 addresses and with the growth today we will soon running out of numbers. Therefore has version 6 (IPv6) been developed that has more than 340 trillions addresses, those are written in eight groups with 4 hexadecimals digits (0000-ffff). An example of an IPv6 address is 2001:0db8:85a3:08d3:1319:8a2e:0370:7334.
- ISP: Internet Service Provider
- KiloByte: You could beleve that kilo stands för 1000 but because computers work with the binary number system it stands for 210 and therefore kilo is 1024, 2 kB is equal with 2048 byte. To decrease the confusion it is recommended that kibibyte (KiB) is used instead for KiloByte, but still it is common to use kB för 1024 regarding IT.
- LAN: short form of Local Area Network and is a group of computers in a local network. Those has normally an IP-address like 192.168.x.x. and a subnet mask at 255.255.255.1. A LAN communicate with others trough its default gateway that usually have IP 192.168.x.1. A LAN can contain only one computer.
- Landning Page: The first page you enter when browsing to a domain name.
- POP3: Post Office Protocol, is communication protocol used to download mail from mail servers (not upload). It is not possible to have several klients connected to the same mail account with POP3. Se also IMAP.
- Plugin: is an application that is added to Wordpress that contain additional functions. Envira Gallery and Duplicator is examples of two plugins.
- QBRITS: I a short form of Quality Branch IT Solution that is provider of IT services designed to fit small and medium sized companies.
- Site: describe all pages located within a domain name.
- Subnet mask: I a mathematical filter used to separate different LAN when they communicate on the same wire. Two computers must have the same subnet mask to be able to communicate within a LAN. Ifthey got subnet mask 255.255.255.1 then they will listen to all computers that gor the first three group equal and at 0-255 on the last group, e.g with that subnet mask will 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.231 listen to each other but not on 192.168.0.32.
- WAN: Wide Area Network, connect LAN to the outside. For small network this is usually the connection to Internet provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
- Web browser: the program used to access internet from the computer or smart phone. Examples of program are Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, MS Edge.